At Simple Smiles Restorative & Cosmetic Dentistry located in Woodstock, Georgia, Dr. Christine Lee offers periodontal treatment for our patients who have gum disease. This is important, because if gingivitis–a mild form of gum disease–is left untreated, it can progress into periodontitis. While improved oral hygiene can often restore gum health while in the mild stage, once it advances it is much more difficult to resolve.
If plaque spreads below the gum line, bacteria cause toxins to release which then irritate your gums. These toxins cause the body to respond to constant inflammation as the tissue in the mouth and the bones supporting your teeth break down. Once the gums pull back from the teeth, spaces (pockets) form and the gums and become infected. With time, these pockets become deeper as gum tissue and bone is destroyed, potentially resulting in tooth loss.
Periodontitis can be treated with any of the following procedures:
– Scaling and root planing: a deep cleaning of the root surfaces, sometimes followed up with antibiotics.
– Gum graft surgery: where exposed tooth roots are covered with gum tissue to prevent continued recession and bone loss.
– Bone grafts: reversing some of the damage from lost bone and tissue.
– Dental crown lengthening: adjusts the gum and bone levels to expose more of the natural tooth.
– Dental implants: replaces a lost tooth or teeth by placing an artificial tooth root into your jaw via a tooth or bridge.
– Pocket reduction: a procedure done to the pockets, by folding back the gum tissue, removing the bacteria, and securing the tissue.
If you are experiencing problems with your gums, schedule an appointment with Dr. Christine Lee and our Simple Smiles Restorative & Cosmetic Dentistry team. Our scaling and root planing treatment can help bring back your gum health. Your oral health is our top priority in Woodstock, Georgia. To schedule a visit please call 770.592.7000 today!